Psychic Trauma Rough Draft, Intro
Disclaimer: All
events, characters, and opinions are subject to artistic license.
Anything written here may or may not be based on what the author
believes to be fact. As to what is fiction and what isn’t – the
writer will never tell.
Dedicated to the
gifted individuals this story is based on. You know who you are.
Intro
No one’s thoughts
are really their own. For all the years I’ve spent peering into
minds, I’ve never once seen a thought my subject hadn’t learned
from someplace else. Every word in a person’s head is learned from
somewhere, and people are not capable of true originality. Even those
who assume themselves to be extremely independent are only using old
ideas in a different combination. I find that disheartening. It’s
all too easy for someone malicious to plant a thought, and very
little of the population even realizes this to be the case. I
honestly believe that it should be considered a criminal offense to
force one’s ideas one someone else without their explicit consent.
But no one’s listening to me. I’m only a young white female, and
near the bottom of the hierarchical structure.
Of course, I’ve
never expressed my ideas in such clear terms out loud. That would be
a very foolish thing to do. If a person is presented with an idea
that goes against the ideas already adopted, that person’s first
instinct is to fight. And that often means punishing whoever
presented the mental conflict. People don’t really care if
something’s true. They only care if it already matches up with what
they believe to be fact. And no one challenges established “facts.”
When I took my job
at the bookstore, I came with the hope of finding someone, anyone,
who went against the established grain. People who read have a wider
variety of ideas in their mind, meaning that they have slightly more
freedom than someone else might. I figured that people who spent a
lot of time in a book store might just manage to reuse they thoughts
they read in a more meaningful way. I might meet someone who is
resistant to propaganda, social bullying, and overall behaving like a
sheep. But I’ve found no one. Those who consider themselves to be
intelligent happily swallow ideas by the bucket, and aren’t very
discerning about which ideas they take and reject. Sure, they weigh
ideas against things they already “know” to be true, but they
don’t ever allow something new to challenge something familiar.
Realizing that, I
supposed that perhaps someone who wrote down ideas for a living would
be more mentally flexible. But I was disappointed once more. The
first time an author came to visit the store, I had him sign
something for me. That was an excuse to make eye contact, so that I
could see into his mind. I searched his thoughts very rapidly, and I
found, much to my disgust, that he was even more rigid than his
readers. He wasn’t striving to create new ideas – he hoarded
thoughts, carefully weighed them against what he figured his readers
wanted, then arranged his ideas to be pleasing. He made a living off
re-branding the same few ideas.
I feel dreadfully
depressed most of the time. I hate to watch people devour whatever
media some wealthy person thought should be popular. What the average
consumer doesn't realize is that very media is intentionally designed
to change a person’s thought patterns. It’s created to make
people more compliant, therefore keeping the people who are in
control in control. It minimizes the chances of a governmental
overthrow, or for the poor to fight their way to prosperity. The more
propaganda a person ingests, the less independent they become.
Sometimes, it doesn’t even matter much what that propaganda is
about. The very act of believing something just because someone says
so is giving up your control as an individual.
Of course, I guess I
can’t blame people for not seeing this problem. They really don’t
stand a chance. We are all conditioned from the time we are very
young to give up our will. A child must obey his parents, or risk
punishment. Failure to comply means being shamed, even if he
didn’t mean to make the mistake. His thoughts don’t matter, only
that he didn’t do exactly as expected.
We are all told that
we are forced to attend school as children for the sake of our
education. As true as that may be, they fail to explain exactly what
we are being taught. Math, science, and reading are all used to
instill the idea that we should do whatever is asked.If something is placed in front of us to
place in our minds, we have to do it. We are given bad marks if we
try to look at the old idea in a new way. All that we are allowed to
care about is “correct” and “incorrect.” And that becomes
exactly how we all weigh ideas. And the practice of accept something
just because it’s handed to us conditions us to accept other things
too. If your friends say a movie is good, you believe it. And you
ignore all those little things that made you feel uncomfortable. The
things retraining your thoughts for the worse. The things making you
less able to regulate your impulses, and discourage you from thinking
critically about your actions.
Watching all this
causes me to wonder if I really am better off than the rest of the
population. I might have a clearer understanding of how people are
manipulated, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I can avoid it. Even
though I have an unusual power, my thoughts are still very easily
swayed. If I see an image meant to turn me on, I get turned on. If I
read something written persuasively, I tend to believe it, if only
for a few minutes. And I know that I can’t help but weigh new
information with my opinions, rather than taking all facts for their
own merit. I’m inclined to disbelieve something because it
challenges the way I currently think. Likewise, I’m more likely to
swallow input that doesn’t challenge me in any way.
Sometimes, I think
that living as a human being alone subjects us all to manipulation.
If there’s an escape for this, I haven’t found it yet. I’ve
mostly lost my hope for something better a long time ago, but I
refuse to stop looking. Because, the moment I quit is the moment I
let the manipulators win. And I’m not going to let that happen.
Comments
Post a Comment