Chapter 6 (Rough)
Six
Feeling
a strange combination of sleepiness and so much anxiety that it was
very hard for me to stay in one place, I sat down at the kitchen
table with the meal packet I had chosen and started to eat, turning
on the phone that would be replacing my pendant during my mission. I
had been practicing the use of the phone for a while now, but I still
wasn’t fully used to it, which I hoped wouldn’t cause me problems
later.
I
tapped on the screen a few times and pulled up the details of today’s
schedule, not all that surprised that most items on the list had been
phrased vaguely. It was entirely possible that a human may steal my
phone sometime during the mission, and it wouldn’t do if my phone
contained information that revealed my true identity, or even alluded
to it.
According
to the schedule, I was supposed to leave for something called a high
school in twenty minutes, but I didn’t have a clear idea what to
expect, which made me downright uneasy. Pon was supposed to brief me
before I left, but he was nowhere to be seen, and I was finished
eating and ready to go looking for him when he finally entered the
kitchen handed me a few objects. One I recognized as a sheet of
paper, one was a stiff little rectangle with my disguise’s picture
on it, and the other was a collection of papers folded in half and
bound at the middle. It took me a moment to remember seeing the last
object, which was a human’s book, in a picture that Pon had shown
me, and the piece of paper turned out to be some kind of schedule,
but I didn’t have the faintest idea what the small, stiff rectangle
was used for.
I
looked up at Pon, who was looking tired and somewhat flustered. “Did
you know that attending a human school requires not only previous
registration, but proof of identity, a brief medical history, records
of past behaviors, and all kinds of other useless information? You
would not believe how much research I had to do last night to
understand it all enough to forge your records.”
I
blinked at him a few times. I couldn’t tell you why it was
surprising to me to hear that humans made registration at a school so
needlessly complicated – it fit with everything other absurd thing
I’d heard about the planet. “Did you get any sleep at all?”
Knowing Pon, it wouldn’t be surprising if he had studied all night.
“Not
really, no.” Pon pointed at my schedule. “Apparently, a human
child’s school day is mandated for them, rather than the child
being allowed to choose. You need to be at each of these rooms on
time, or risk disciplinary action.” Before I had time to ask him
what he meant by “disciplinary action,” he pointed at the book
and said, “That is a rule book. Apparently, you’re supposed to
have it memorized before you ever arrive in school. I skimmed it, and
most of the rules don’t make any sense, so you’ll have to be very
careful not to do anything unusual, because, apparently, most strange
behaviors are considered punishable offenses.” I stared at him,
trying to formulate my concerns into words, as he explained the last
object. “This rectangle is called student identification. The
school you’re going to requires you to keep it on you, but I never
figured out why. Typically, humans use identification to prove to
each other they are allowed to do something or be someplace, but I
have no conclusive answers on what student identification gives you
permission to do, exactly. I’ll be looking into that.”
I
had been giving so much concerning information so rapidly that I was
feeling a little dizzy. “Just what will they do to me if I don’t
follow their rules?” I remembered Pon lecturing about the torture
methods that some humans historically used to punish one another, and
I felt downright sick.
“They
will lock you in a room and tell you to stay put without doing
anything for an hour. They call it detention,” Pon replied, not
sounding concerned. “Which is not too different from the classes
themselves, in which you are told to stay put and be quiet while only
the teacher speaks. So far, I’ve found absolutely no explanation
for either why the humans think detention is an effective way to
teach good behavior, or why they think their classroom structure
encourages any kind of real learning whatsoever. It’s all very
odd.”
I
stared. “You mean, humans force their children to tend schools that
aren’t even effective?”
“Yes,”
Pon replied. “Apparently, the creatures are under the impression
that the lack of effectiveness has more to do with budget problems
and the students’ attitudes than the system itself. Ever few years
or so, one of this nation’s politicians will admit there’s a
problem and promise an education reform that ultimately makes the
problem worse. Apparently, they think that doing more of what’s not
working will eventually fix the problem.”
I
reached for a plate, found none, and settled for pulling on one of my
braids. “And I’m being sent into one of these non-learning
schools to study behaviors.”
Pon
gave me an apologetic look. “I’m hoping that attending a human
school will give you a clearer idea of exactly what makes this
species different. Since the way we run our schools is one of the
most radically different things about our cultures, this may be the
faster way to get our answers.”
I
nearly asked him if he was sure he had placed me in the school to
look for the cure for the Illness and not to satisfy his own
curiosity about the human race, but I decided that would be unkind.
We really had no idea just what it was about the humans that made
them more resilient, so there was no telling if exploring their
quirks would be useful or not. At least it was a direction, even if
we had no idea if it was misguided or not.
My
phone started to make an annoying sound, and when I looked at the
screen the notice read, “Leave for school.” I was a little bit
startled to see that more time had passed during my and Pon’s
conversation than I had realized, and I practically jumped out of my
seat, grabbed my bag and rushed for the door.
“One
last thing!” Pon called. “Take notes during lectures! You’ll be
tested on your ability to remember what was said!” I didn’t stop
to ask him what use the humans thought memorizing a lecture was.
I
was barely out the front door before I found I was too tired to keep
up my running pace, and I felt annoyed with my disguise over it, but,
rather than wasting time feeling sorry for myself, I focused on
getting myself to the corner where the vehicle that would take me to
school would stop to pick up students.
As
I got near the corner, I could see other students waiting at the same
place, and I was surprised and more than a little concerned to see
that they all looked some variation of tired, stressed, or annoyed. I
paused near the edge of the group and took a better look at each of
them. It was very clear that they weren’t looking forward to going
to the school any more than I was, and I wondered why they kept on
going if they all hated it this much. Surly, if they talked to their
parents about this, they wouldn’t keep making their children go. It
would take a truly heartless being to push their child into
continually going to a place that made them miserable.
Of
the small group, the child who looked most upset was a young man with
unkempt hair and a bruise on one side of his face, and he was
positively radiating anger. His posture was tense, and I could tell
that he was just barely controlling himself. I studied him curiously.
Just what had happened to him to make him so upset.
None
of the humans at the corner had seemed to even notice me until now,
partly because they each had a phone out, but the young man’s head
abruptly snapped around to face me. “What are you starting at?”
he barked.
Worried
he’d try to strike me, I took a step backwards, and I glanced
towards our base, wondering if I shouldn’t run. “I didn’t mean
any disrespect,” I wavered. I meant to come up with some lie to
explain why I had been studying him, but I simply couldn’t think of
anything.
The
boy gave a disgusted snort, rolled his eyes, then turned away from
me, ignoring me very pointedly as he tapped rapidly at his phone’s
screen. I blinked a couple of times. I hadn’t expected the
escalation to end so abruptly.
We
stood there, waiting, for a few more minutes, and this time I was
much more careful not to openly study any of the children, although I
kept watching and making observations. No one had said much, which
was a little disappointing. It would be extremely hard to understand
this race without listening to some conversations. I wondered,
unhappily, if these creatures really interacted when they weren’t
arguing.
Finally,
the vehicle, a large, ugly, yellow thing called a “bus” pulled up
in front of us, making such an awful sound that I had to cover my
ears. Strangely, no one else seemed bothered by the sound, but they
did seem annoyed to have to put away their phones. One by one, the
climbed up a few steep steps to get onto the bus, but I hung back. If
that thing made such a terrible noise while stopping, just how noisy
would this ride be?
“Hey,
Braids!” a man at the front of the bus hollered at me. “Are you
coming or what?”
I
hesitated one more moment, then started to climb the steps. “My
name isn’t ‘Braids,’” I told him on my way up. “It’s
Addia.”
He
gave me a glare that I thought was uncalled for. “I don’t care
what your name is! Take a seat already! You’re going to make me
late!”
I
scampered near the back of the bus as quickly as I could to escape
his glare and sat down in a seat I thought he wouldn’t be likely to
see me if he happened to turn around in his seat and lowered my head.
I wondered, anxiously, what would happen to me if I annoyed him
again. Would he do something violent, or would he send me to
“detention?”
The
child in the seat next to make gave a drawn-out sound that was
something between a groan and a sigh. “Find yourself another place
to sit.”
I
glanced up and was more than a little dismayed to see that I had
chosen a seat right next to the young man who barked at me for
staring at him earlier. I would have happily changed seats, but the
bus made another awful sound, then it lurched, and a glance out the
window told me that the bus was moving. The entire vehicle vibrated
harshly, and I wondered if all vehicles on Earth moved so
gracelessly. In no time at all, I felt absolutely sick to my stomach.
I frowned. I hadn’t even arrived at the school yet, and I was
already miserable.
“You’re
not going to throw up, are you?” the boy sneered. “I swear, if
you puke on me...” he stopped, as if he didn’t actually know what
he’d do if I did puke on him, but I was sure that whatever he did
to me wouldn’t be pleasant.
“Leave
me alone!” I snapped. It took all my concentration to keep my food
in my stomach, my head pounded, and I was in no mood to even be
having this conversation.
Thankfully,
the boy went quiet, and after a while I found that the bus’s
motions became slightly less unpleasant, even if I still didn’t
like the sounds, but then, without warning, it slowed down jerkily,
shifted clumsily to the right, then came to a jolting stop, making
loud and unpleasant noises the entire time. I started to stand up,
very happy that the unpleasant ride was over, but I then I noticed
that no one else was moving to get off, and a few more children were
climbing on. I plopped back down into my seat, feeling absolutely
dismayed. This ride wasn’t over – we had only stopped to pick up
more students.
I
felt a gaze on me, and I turned my head to see that the boy was
looking at me as if I was the strangest creature he had ever seen.
“What, have you never ridden on a bus before?”
I
hesitated. I wanted to deny it, but I could think of no other
plausible explanation to give him. “This is my first time on a
bus,” I replied, at about the same time the bus started again, and
I had to put a hand over my mouth.
The
boy gave a loud sigh, as if I was grievously inconveniencing him.
The
bus kept moving for a few more minutes, then it stopped again, with
those same nauseating motions, and I looked towards the front to see
even more children getting on. I gave a quiet sigh, wondering just
how many times we would stop before we finally arrived at the school.
The
boy nudged me impatiently. “Go! Find another seat!”
I
started to obey, standing up only partway before my shaking legs
gave, and I fell back down, feeling distinctly dizzy. The boy glared
at me, as if I had done the entire thing on purpose, and I felt a
strong urge to ram my head into him for being so unpardonably rude,
and I might have actually done it, if I wasn’t feeling too sick to
move.
I
put my head down, almost between my knees, and focused very hard on
trying not to feel every little motion the hateful bus made, and I
refused to move one bit until the bus stopped again, and I I could
hear children getting out of their seats, but even then I found it
very hard to sit up.
“Hey,”
the boy complained. “Get up! I want to get out!” He gave me a
rough shove.
Doing
my best to ignore him, I very slowly started to stand up, and when I
lifted my head enough to glance up, I was dismayed to see the man
from the front of the bus looking at me and shaking his head. “Boy,
you’d better walk her to the nurse’s office. She looks awful.”
I
felt a jolt of alarm. Given Earth’s very slim medical
understanding, combined with the fact that they would try to treat me
the same way they would any other human, letting a medical
professional try to help me would be incredibly dangerous.
I
quickly forced myself to stand upright. “Oh, no, I’ll be all
right. I just need a moment.” I hoped that would be enough to
convince these people to leave me alone to go about my business.
The
boy, asking no clarifying questions, rushed off the bus, and I
followed him, struggling very, very hard to look as if I no longer
had a stomachache. I could feel the man from the front of the bus
watching me the entire time, but when I glanced back he looked more
exasperated than concerned. I frowned to myself. Apparently, this was
a decidedly unfeeling race.
I
followed the other students in through a set of doors that struck me
as being far too narrow compared to the sheer number of people trying
to walk through at once, and people were pressed all around me, which
I thought was distinctly annoying. I walked through the doors and
found myself in a larger foyer area, but it immediately branched off
into a set of very narrow hallways. I found a relatively still place
in the noisy foyer and pulled my class schedule out of my pocket,
trying to understand it. My homeroom class, whatever that was, was
somewhere called B-10. I gave a confused frown. Just what was B-10
supposed to mean?
Someone
placed a hand on my shoulder, which made me jump. I turned to see a
woman decidedly older than the students. She gave me a friendly
smile. “Are you lost?”
“Yes,”
I replied, finding I had to talk loudly to be heard over the racket.
“Where is B-10?”
She
pointed down one of the narrow hallways. “It’s near the end of
that hallway.”
“Thank
you,” I replied, but she had already turned her attention to some
other student, who was scowling at his schedule the same way I had
been frowning at mine a moment earlier. Apparently, it was fairly
easy to tell if someone was lost here.
I
walked down the cramped hallway and found that the doors of the
classrooms were labeled with both a number and a letter, and it
didn’t take long to find B-10, now that I knew which direction I
was supposed to be walking. I came into the classroom and stopped
short, feeling more than a little confused.
Every
classroom I had been in before had seats of varying shapes scattered
into loose groups around the room, intended to be moved around as
needed, and arranged to make talking to others in the group easy and
comfortable. Here, I saw about three dozen stiff desks that didn’t
look entirely comfortable, arranged so neatly in their rows and
columns that it looked as if someone had been trying to see how many
seats they could possibly fit into the same room and still leave just
a little room to walk. Glancing around, I could see that this entire
room was arranged and decorated in this stiff, uniform manner. I
frowned. Just how was any student supposed to learn in this stifling
environment?
The
next thing I noticed was that very few students were actually in
their seats, and they had arranged themselves into groups that looked
similar to the ones that I had seen in my classrooms back home,
chatting with one another. I kept on expecting them to start moving
their desks to suit their needs, but they simply ignored the
arrangements of the desks as much as they could, some leaning over
them, some children standing in the isles, and some children sitting
on top of the desks. It made me wonder if the desks were adhered into
position, but I couldn’t imagine why.
A
man with gray hair walked in, and a few of the students broke off
from their conversations and went to sit down, sometimes clear across
the room from where they had just been, which I thought was curious –
wouldn’t it be easier to take the seat nearest to where you had
just been, or to sit down near the people you liked to talk to?
“Take
your seats!” the man at the front of the room called, which caused
a few more of the students to find a desk, but there were still three
girls who ignored the man and continued to talk to each other.
Looking annoyed, he walked up to them and tapped one on the shoulder.
They all turned and glared at him, as if they thought he was being
very rude by interrupting their conversation. “Britteny, please go
to your seat,” the man ordered, tone clipped. “Dionne, sit down
properly, and, Celine, kindly return to your own classroom. You’ll
be marked as absent if you don’t go quickly.”
The
girls obeyed reluctantly, all rolling their eyes and sighing, which I
thought was rude, but I couldn’t understand why the man felt that
them being in certain seats was so important. If anything, that would
make the class feel far too formal.
To
my alarm, the man turned his frustrated gaze on me. “And, may I
ask, why aren’t you in your seat?”
I
put my hands up, wondering, wildly, just how easy it would be to make
him lose his temper. “I don’t know which one it is,” I
explained, voice very quiet.
His
expression became less hard, and he almost looked embarrassed. “Oh.
You’re new.” He pointed at the one of the two remaining empty
desks. “That will be your seat this semester.”
“Um,
thanks,” I replied, walking over and sitting down. I was still
confused by the fact that the seating was apparently assigned, and I
hadn’t the faintest idea what a semester was, but I didn’t think
it would be safe to ask these questions out loud.
The
man walked up to the larger desk at the front of the room, picked up
some rectangle that had a piece of paper on it, then seemed to start
to count us, making notes on his paper periodically, which struck me
as being strange. At around the same time, the students in the room
fell back into conversation, although mostly with different people
than they had before, and some students had their phones out again.
I
was still trying to work out exactly what was going on when a loud,
strange sound came from near the front of the room. The man made some
angry gestures at the children, which I assumed meant he wanted them
to be quiet, but he was mostly ignored. The students who had their
phones out put them away, but at least a fourth of the students were
still talking. The strange sound from the front of the room didn’t
stop, and it was quickly becoming grating.
It
wasn’t until the sound had gone on for about two minutes that I
realized that those sounds were supposed to be words, but for some
reason whatever speaker it was coming from was barely speaking
clearly enough to be understood. I quickly turned my full attention
to the garbled voice, curious about what it had to say, but between
its poor pronunciation and the fact that the students were still
talking, I could barely make out anything. From what little I caught,
the speaker was reminding the students of rules that should have been
self-evident – that vandalizing the bathrooms wasn’t acceptable,
and that students should refrain from stealing from the vending
machines, whatever those were. I frowned to myself, wondering why the
students would ever behave in such a way in the first place, let
alone consistently enough that the speaker felt the need to remind
them that they should stop.
By
the time the speaker stopped talking, my head absolutely pounded, and
I wanted nothing more than to find a silent place, but I had to go to
my next class, or risk detention, which was actually sounding
pleasant compared to homeroom. I pulled my schedule out of my pocket,
but the aching in my head was intense enough that I had a very hard
time understanding what I was reading. I stood up from my desk and
started to make my way, carefully, out of the classroom.
Unfortunately,
the hallways were about as loud and crowded as they were before, and
I found that I was quickly becoming confused. Thankfully, my next
class was in the same hallway, and I happened to glance at the label
on the door as I walked past, otherwise there’s no telling just how
lost I would have become.
The
one adult in this room, who was the woman who had helped me find my
class earlier, directed me to my seat as soon as I walked in, which
saved me some trouble, and I sat down and willed myself to stop
growing dizzy. I reflected, annoyed, that I had only spent about an
hour here, and that I was already thoroughly tired with school, and I
would like to be done with it forever, if possible.
The
last few students trailed in and found their seats, and I noticed
that fewer of them refused to end their conversations this time,
although there were still several children who didn’t fall silent
when the woman directed, until she threatened them with detention,
which, surprisingly, made them stop.
The
woman then went to the large desk at the front of the room, picked up
a stack of papers, which the students groaned outright when they saw,
and she started to pass out the papers. “I’m sorry, I know that
you’re all tired of the testing, but I’m sure you’ll do fine.”
She looked genuinely regretful about the papers she was delivering. I
found myself staring. If her students hated the testing, and she
disliked testing them, why did she keep on doing it?
When
I received my own paper, I fished a pencil out of my bag, and I
started to read the page, fully expecting to both understand it and
solve it, but I found myself looking at a wall of completely
nonsensical questions. After a moment, I realized that this was
supposed to be math, but everything was so abstracted that I couldn’t
even begin to understand how I was supposed to respond. Math had
always been one of my favorite subjects, and to me it seemed
downright absurd that it should seem so imposing to me now.
I
could hear students around me writing feverishly as I stared down at
my page and tried to figure out what to do. After some long moments
of panic, I finally managed to mentally translate the first question
into something I could understand, and, feeling relived, I wrote down
my answer. Using this method, I found that understanding the question
took far more time than formulating the answer, but I was happy to
finally be making some progress.
I
had just barely finished my page when the bell rang, signaling the
end of the class, and all the students got up and placed their
papers on the woman’s desk, with an attitude of anxiety that I
didn’t understand. Just what did these students think would happen
to them if they hadn’t answered correctly?
My
headache was much less by now, and I found my next classroom without
a problem, now that I could see how the classrooms were organized –
each letter represented a hallway, and the lower numbers were towards
the beginning of the hallway, with higher numbers near the end. I
entered the room, and after a brief question about which seat was
mine, I sat down, thinking that maybe the rest of this day would be
bearable after all.
The
teacher of this classroom, after somehow managing to shut the
conversations down, came to the front of the room and called, “Please
open up to Chapter Five, which starts in page one-hundred and
thirty.” I didn’t have a clear idea what he was talking about,
but all the students around me immediately pulled heavy-looking books
and easily flipped to the place they wanted. I blinked a couple of
times before I slowly looked in my bag, knowing the heavy book I
apparently needed for this class wasn’t in there, but needing to be
certain. Of course, I found nothing of the kind.
I
sat there, feeling very anxious, when the teacher plopped what was
apparently one of his own books on my desk, giving a martyred sigh
before he walked away. I couldn’t understand why he felt so
inconvenienced, but I was happy to have a book.
It
took me a moment to figure out how to navigate the book, because I
had never used one before. I finally opened to the correct page and
started reading, hoping I’d have enough time to read whatever it
was I was supposed to be studying before the bell rang and I’d have
to move on, but I found that this book was almost as strange as the
math page I had done earlier. This book was clearly about events in
Earth’s history, but everything was described in such bland
language, and with so many unneeded details, that I struggled to
focus on it.
Bravely,
I kept on reading, but I simply couldn’t keep my mind from
wandering. I found myself thinking about my school days back home,
and how much fun I’d had. There, the school was kept open at all
hours of the day, and students were welcome at any time they wanted
to attend, and could stay as long, or as briefly as they wanted, and
I would have spent all day there, if my parents had let me.
I
remembered, with a keen feeling of homesickness, how I would choose a
classroom, depending on which subject I wanted to study, and when I
came in I would immediately find teachers and older students there to
help me if anything stumped me as I used that various study material
that was scattered around the classroom. I would stay in that
classroom until I got tired of the subject, then I simply stood up
and went into another room. There were no assigned seats, no bells,
no mandated study material, no blandly written books, teachers didn’t
have to act as dictators, and no student even thought of vandalizing
the bathrooms.
I
was startled from my thoughts as the bell rang, and I found myself
leaving the classroom, placing the book back on the teacher’s desk,
and I only half-heard his warning to bring my own text book next
time. I was so overwhelmed with my thoughts that it was hard to focus
on much of anything.
I
was walking down the hallway on my way to my next class when I
started to notice something odd. Small groups of children would
gather themselves together, single out another student, say some
things that the other student evidently disliked, and the group would
keep on saying those things, even after the other student looked
unhappy, and the other student wouldn’t do anything to step the
group from being so disrespectful. I noticed these strange behaviors
no fewer than three times, all from different children, before I
reached my next class, which was P.E., whatever that stood for.
I
had some trouble finding the “gym,” but another student, a dark
girl with hair that stood out from her head, noticed my confusion and
guided me along. I was grateful to her for that, and I was very, very
happy to meet a student who was considerate – I was starting to
believe that all adolescent humans were unbearably rude.
I
was expecting to arrive in a classroom like the ones I had been in
before, but she took me into large room with little tiles covering
the floors, walls made out of what appeared to be some variety of
box, and I could hear running water coming from somewhere. The room
smelled slightly like the refrigerator at our base had, and I
wondered why there would be a something rotting here, and why it
wasn’t disposed of.
Unfortunately,
the girl noticed my confused expression. “Is something wrong?”
I
felt a panicked jolt, and I inwardly scrambled for an excuse. “The
last one I saw was different,” I said quickly, both surprised and
relived that such a believable explanation had somehow come out of my
mouth.
She
looked interested. “Really? I thought that all locker rooms were
pretty much the same.”
I
felt cold with dread as I tried to come up with a lie that covered
the fact that I had never been inside any locker room whatsoever. “In
the last one I was inside of, the tiles were a different color, and
the room didn’t smell like rot,” I said, hoping that I hadn’t
accidentally said anything outlandish.
The
girl laughed. “Oh, it’s the smell that’s bothering you. Yeah,
we keep trying to get the janitor to do something about it, but he
keeps on insisting that there isn’t anything he can do about the
mildew. Honestly, I think he’s looking for an excuse not to scour
the tiles.”
I
didn’t understand most of her previous statement – what was a
janitor, what was mildew, and what did it mean to scour? – but I
was very relieved that she was satisfied with my answer.
I
followed her over to one of the walls of boxes, and as I watched she
opened one, pulled out another set of clothing, and started to
undress. I felt a rush of both confusion and alarm. For one thing, I
didn’t even know why she needed to change her clothes, or if I
would be expected to do it too, and for another I didn’t like the
idea of changing where anyone could walk by and see me. I knew this
room must be gender-specific – I had only seen other girls in here
– but I still didn’t want to undress near strangers, let alone
ones that I found very strange and unpredictable.
Taking
a glance around, most of the other people here didn’t seem bothered
by the retaliative lack of privacy, but there were some girls who
were changing very, very quickly and avoided making any eye contact.
I wondered if they had any particular reason to be acting nervous, or
if they were worrying unnecessarily. The thought made me uneasy, and
I hoped that I could figure out a way around this apparent
clothing-changing regulation.
The
girl who had guided me finished pulling her new set of clothing on
and looked at me strangely. “Don’t you want to change?”
“Not
really, no.” Changing right here was the last thing I wanted to do.
She
continued to stare. “So, you’re okay with getting your school
clothes all sweaty and stuff?”
All
at once, I realized what was going on. This was an exercise class,
and human clothing must not be able to dispel oders as well as what I
was used to at home, necessitating a change of clothing. No wonder
the girls needed to change their clothing – if they didn’t,
they’d carry that smell for the rest of the school day.
My
realization dismayed me, but it also gave me a clearer idea about how
to explain why I wasn’t changing. “I left my athletic clothes at
home by mistake.”
The
girl gave a sympathetic frown. “Oh, I hate it when that happens to
me.” She took a glance at her watch. “We’d better get going.
They’re about to start.” She started to walk, quickly, towards
one of the doorways, and I followed her, startling a little when I
passed by a few people who were apparently bathing. I should have
realized that if people got dirty enough to smell but weren’t
allowed to go home to take care of it, some bathing at the school
would also be required, but what I couldn’t figure out is why
students weren’t given any stalls or curtains for privacy. It
seemed downright disrespectful to require these children to dress and
bathe in front of others, regardless of if they were comfortable with
it or not.
We
walked out into a room with strange orangish flooring, a rectangle
with a hoop and net attached to it on the far wall, and a stack of
benches against two of the walls. I couldn’t understand the reason
for so many seats – this was supposed to be an exercise class,
wasn’t it?
The
teacher was a grumpy-looking woman holding another rectangle with a
piece of paper on it. I noticed she was wearing an oddly-shaped piece
of metal on a cord around her neck, and I wondered what it could be
used for. I didn’t think it was there for decoration – the rest
of her outfit was practically devoid of details.
She
waited, impatiently, for the few last students to gather, when she
said in an abrupt tone, “All right, let’s hit the track.”
Nearly
all the students groaned to hear this, and that alone made me
suspicious of this “hitting the track” business, even though I
had no clear idea what it was. The word “track” had a few
different meanings, but none of them sounded to me like something you
would strike. I supposed that I misinterpreted her statement, but I
couldn’t quite work out how.
As
it turned out, the track was a path for running in circles on, and
“hitting” it meant to use it, and I was more than a little
unhappy that I would be running. While I had adjusted to the extra
weight on my form far better than I had previously thought I would
have, moving quickly for more than a few seconds at a time was still
nearly impossible.
The
children, after mumbling and grumbling through their stretches,
started to jog along the path at a reluctant pace, and I quickly
joined them, not wanting to make my hesitation obvious. As we ran, I
noticed that some of the students simply refused to run, until the
teacher walked up to them, put the piece of metal in her mouth, and
used it to make a piercing sound that left my ears ringing.
Apparently not satisfied, she then started to make that sound at
anyone she thought wasn’t moving fast enough, which I thought was
unpardonably rude, and my headache from earlier quickly came back. I
wanted to go up to her and tell her to stop doing that, because it
was annoying, but I knew that would be a bad idea. From what I had
seen so far, not letting a teacher do as they wanted was considered
shameful. It didn’t seem fair to me, that the adults in the school
were allowed to do whatever they wanted, even if it annoyed the
students, but the students apparently weren’t allowed to say
anything if their teachers were being obnoxious.
Predictably,
I didn’t keep pace with the front of the group for long before I
started to fall behind, and I did everything I could to resist the
instinct to slow down, because I was sure that if that noisy metal
thing got any closer to me the ache in my head would become
agonizing.
For
a while, I somehow, through sheer willpower, managed to avoid lagging
at the very back of the group. I was feeling short of breath, and
everything burned, but I was staying in the middle of the students. I
wondered, dazedly, just how strong I must be to be keeping this up in
spite of my disguise, when, all at once, I stopped moving at all.
Everything looked as if it was dark, but with flashing lights, and it
took me a moment to realize that I had fallen to the ground. Not that
I was complaining – the ground was restful, after all that
relentless excursion.
I
heard some people gather around me and start making an assortment of
concerned and puzzled sounds, and the thought crossed my mind that I
should sit up and tell them that I was all right. Lifting my head
proved much harder than I expected, at first, but after a moment I
was upright.
The
teacher stared down at me with an expression that was part concerned
and part exasperated. “Maybe you should go sit down.” I was glad
to hear that – it meant she wasn’t planning on making that sound
at me for stopping.
I
stumbled to my feet, with the girl who brought me here on one side
and some boy or a rather on the other, and I found I could walk,
although my legs ached. The nurse’s office was brought up, but,
thankfully, it was dropped when I insisted that I’d be all right as
soon as I caught my breath.
I
sat down in the grass for the rest of the class, and by then I almost
felt fine. My head still ached, because that teacher kept on making
shrill sounds at slower students, but at least now I wasn’t passed
out on the track.
On
my way back inside the school, I walked through the locker room
quickly, only barely remembering to pick up my bag, entered the
hallway, and took out my schedule, ready to find another classroom,
but the next thing I had was lunch. I didn’t have the foggiest idea
where the cafeteria was or how to find it, but when I spotted some
students carrying brown paper bags like the one Pon had instructed me
to put my own food into, I figured that following those other
children would be a good way to find where I needed to go.
After
trailing after them for a little while, I came to a particularly
congested hallway, and I hesitated, standing in a corner. I could
hear a riotous level of noise coming from the cafeteria’s open
doorway, and my head still ached. I badly wanted to avoid that noise
room, but I didn’t think I had a choice. I was sure that if I tried
to find another place to be some teacher would stop me, for no other
reason than not going into the cafeteria would be something other
than what I had been instructed. I frowned to myself, feeling very,
very annoyed, and wanting to simply walk out the school doors.
After
a few minutes, the doorway leading into the cafeteria became less
crowded, and I realized that I’d be drawing attention to myself if
I stayed where I was any longer. I gave a deep sigh and started to
walk through the doorway, resisting the urge to cover my ears as I
approached – I none of the other students seemed bothered by the
noise, which I thought was strange.
When
I reached the doorway, I was assaulted by a smell that seemed to be a
mixture of food, sweat, and some variety of chemical. It was nearly
enough to make me turn and leave, but I didn’t know if that was
even possible, so I pressed forward, trying not to let myself wrinkle
my nose or flinch.
Once
I was inside the room, I could see that there were many tables spread
across the room where students sat eating, and I supposed that was
where I should be, but the ache in my head was so harsh that I found
that I somehow couldn’t function enough to simply choose a table
and walk over to it, which alarmed me.
It
didn’t take long for me to regain some control, and I started to
walk towards the nearest table, but I stopped when I realized it
didn’t have any free seats. That was a simple problem to fix, but
my moment of hesitation caused me to notice something. Some students
would approach a table cautiously, almost as if they were afraid
something would happen to them if they sat there, and I couldn’t
figure out why that might be. All the possible explanations I came up
with seemed outlandishly violent, but, then this was Earth. I didn’t
have a clear idea just what was or wasn’t likely to happen, and I
started to become downright anxious over what would happen to me if I
choose the wrong table.
I
was standing there, immobilized by a combination of confusion, panic,
and the throbbing in my head, when I heard someone say, “Do you
need a place to sit?”
As
muddled as I was, it took me a full two seconds to register that
someone was talking to me, and I turned to see the girl who had
helped me earlier. I felt a rush of relief. “Yes!” I had to
nearly shout to be heard.
She
said something I didn’t catch, then stared to lead me. I expected
to be seated at a table in this noisy room, but she walked past all
the tables, opened a door and led me outside. I was both relived and
surprised by this, but I didn’t comment – I had to focus pretty
hard to speak just now.
She
led me to a patch of grass where some other students were eating
before seating herself, inviting me to join her. I plopped down
happily, feeling very, very relieved that I didn’t have to spend
one more minute in that awful cafeteria. I was already starting to
feel somewhat better, although my focus was still poor.
I
had barely seated myself and started to get my bearings again when
one of the students in our group suddenly made a disgusted grunt, and
when I looked at the boy who had made the sound, I was both annoyed
and exasperated to see that the rude boy from the bus was sitting
across from me. He glared at me, and I raised an eyebrow at him, but
the girl who had brought me here was chattering as if she hadn’t
noticed our tense interaction. I honestly couldn’t have told you
what she was saying – I had just noticed a second bruise on the
side of the boy’s face, and I was trying to remember if it had been
there before.
I
was startled out of my thoughts when the girl suddenly nudged me.
“Hey, are you still there?” Her expression was teasing, and I was
glad that she apparently wasn’t offended that I had tuned her out.
“Yes,
I’m still here,” I replied, making a very weak attempt at joking
back.
Presently,
another boy came skipping up to our group, which struck me as being
just a little odd – I had yet to see any of these adolescent humans
skip, and most of them had dour or indifferent attitudes. Just what
had made this boy happy enough to be skipping around, and here, at
this oppressive school, of all places?
The
boy plopped down into the loose circle we had seated ourselves in,
and he started to say, “Hey, wait until you hear what I –“ He
stopped talking when he saw me, and his smile faded. “Who’s
that?”
I
hesitated a moment, not sure how to respond. The question hadn’t
been directed at me, and I didn’t know if it would seem rude if I
answered as if I was the one he had meant to ask. Of course, it was
odd that he had seemed to ask the group at large, instead of
directing it at me.
“This
is a new friend of mine,” the girl replied. I couldn’t
understand the stress she placed on “friend,” as if there could
be any confusion. “She’s new and doesn’t have another
place to sit. She’s very nice.” Again, she stressed words
that, to me, didn’t make sense in this context. I tried not to let
the confusion show, and I hoped that someone would happen to say
something to answer the questions I couldn’t ask.
The
boy blinked a few times, then gave a tentative smile. “Oh. I’m
glad you’re nice. I don’t like people who are mean.” That
explained part of his reaction to me, and the girl’s response, but
there was still plenty of things about this that were confusing me.
He
rocked in place a moment. “What’s you name? Mine’s Brody, but I
like it better when people call me Little Brother. I don’t actually
have older brothers or sisters, but I like to pretend. Of course, I
only like it when my friends call me that.” He paused, looking
anxious. “Hey, you are my friend, aren’t you?”
“Yes,”
I replied, quickly. Of course, I didn’t actually consider him a
friend just yet, but I really didn’t want to see what happened if I
explained that to him. “My name is Dee – Addia.” I hoped, with
a sinking feeling, that no one had noticed my mistake.
Brody
smiled. “Hey, that name is cool! I almost like it as much as Ty’s.
I like his name because it has a Y in it, and it sounds like “tie,”
which is a real word. I like yours because it has two A’s in it,
and I like A’s, and it isn’t a name I’ve heard before.” The
entire time he was chattering, Brody continued to rock, and I
wondered why he’d be doing that, if he wasn’t unhappy.
“Lily’s’s
name –“ Brody gestured at the other girl in our group “– is
nice because it’s also a plant. I like Jay’s name,” Brody
gestured at the moody boy, “because it’s a kind of bird, and I
love birds.” Brody hesitated, frowning. “I don’t like Sadie’s
name very much, though. It has the word ‘sad’ in it.” He looked
at the girl apologetically.
Sadie
laughed. “You don’t have to like my name, Little Brother.” She
turned her attention back to me. “Hey, are you all right? You look
all confused.”
I
blinked. “I”m fine.” What else could I say? If I explained that
I couldn’t track Brody’s commentary on name spellings and
English, these students would want to know why, and that could be
dangerous.
Brody
started taking things out of his brown bag, chattering happily, but
quietly, to himself about the contents, and I took the moment of
relative quiet to make a better observations about the children
seating near me.
Lily
was sitting slightly further away than the other kids in her group,
and her posture was slumped, almost as if she was trying to draw into
herself, which I thought was curious. What possible reason could she
have to hide? Did she not feel safe here? With the exception of Jay,
everyone in this group seemed polite enough.
Ty,
I noticed, hadn’t looked up from his phone since I had arrived, and
his brown bag sat untouched next to him. I wondered what he could
possibly be doing on that phone that was so absorbing that he didn’t
want to either eat or talk to his friends.
I
risked a glance at Jay, who was stabbing at the food on his tray
viscously with his eating implement, as if trying to take out his
frustrations on the strange substances that made up his lunch.
I
looked over at Sadie, who was eating with a mostly content attitude,
although I did notice her grimace slightly after she put something
from her tray into her mouth, as if it didn’t taste very good.
That
reaction made me curious about exactly what she was eating, and I
looked at her tray to see an assortment of things that I thought
looked inedible. In one corner of her tray was some green things that
looked as if they had a rubbery texture, in the other corner was a
food that was bright yellow, mushy-looking and soaked in some variety
of fluid, which apparently wasn’t intended to be eaten. Most of her
tray was taken up by a brown, rectangular thing, that looked as if it
was trying to be both rubbery and mushy at once. Judging by how
little of it she had actually eaten, I guessed that the brown thing
was what she hadn’t liked. Her whole tray smelled off to me, and I
wondered how these humans even manged to mistake these bizarre
substances for food.
Brody
looked up at me from the white, soft, squarish thing he had been
eating. “Say, aren’t you going to eat? You’re going to be real
hungry by dinner if you don’t eat your lunch,” Brody chided.
Not
really knowing how to respond to that, I quietly took my brown bag
out of my school bag and started to unpack my lunch. I wasn’t
hungry, because I was still feeling slightly sick from my brief time
in the cafeteria, but Brody was right – if I didn’t eat now, it
could be a long time before I got another chance.
I
opened a container made to look like something already found on
Earth, picked up a spoon that really wasn’t that unlike the ones at
home, only this one didn’t adapt to the need, and I started to eat,
slowly.
Sadie
frowned at my bowl. “What is that?”
I
wished she hadn’t said anything, because it prompted everyone,
except for Ty, to lean towards me to look into my dish. I had
intentionally chosen a meal packet that my phone/pendant had told be
would look similar to something humans already ate, but the phone had
apparently made a mistake.
Jay
wrinkled his nose. “It looks like the time my dad tried to make
beef stroganoff.”
Brody
tossed something brown wrapped in a clear wrapping at me, expression
concerned. “You can have my Cupcake. You need it more than I do.”
I
handed Brody his Cupcake back. From where I came from, turning down a
gift was rude, but Pon had warned me not to eat anything from Earth –
most of it was contaminated to one extent or another, and there were
a lot of foods that the humans themselves only barely found
digestible. I really didn’t want to find out what would happen to
me if I ate something moderately poisonous. “It’s all right,
Brody. I like my lunch just fine.”
He
blinked, then smiled, as if he was relieved that he didn’t have to
give up his Cupcake after all. “Oh. Okay.” He opened the package,
and, even though we were seated about four feet apart, I was almost
instantly overwhelmed by a smell so sweet that at once made my throat
feel as if it was coated with something sticky, and the sent seemed
to fill my mouth. Trying not to gag, I quickly ate another spoonful
of my own lunch, hoping to block out the sweet, but instead it made
my food seem to taste sweeter. Struggling not to grimace, or show my
distress in any other way, I sat quietly and waited for Brody to
finish his Cupcake, hoping that once he did the smell wouldn’t be
as strong.
I
couldn’t tell you if the smell did fade when he finished it or if I
started to adjust to the smell, but after a few minutes I found that
I was no longer overwhelmed by it, and I turned my attention to the
rest of the group. Sadie was having a mostly one-sided conversation
with Lily, who was giving one-word answers, Ty was still on his
phone, and Jay had finished his lunch, and was zoned out and looking
as if he was thinking about something unpleasant. Brody was drinking
something out of a brown container and making contented noises to
himself. I happened to glance over at Jay as he absent-mindedly
reached up to rub one of the bruises on his face, wincing slightly,
as if reliving the impact that caused it.
“What
happened to your face? Are you all right?” If I had allowed myself
a moment longer to think about it, I probably wouldn’t have brought
it up at all, but by now I was sure that the second bruise was new,
and I was feeling concerned. Just what had this boy been doing, if he
kept on getting himself hurt?
Jay’s
eyes flashed, and he openly scowled at me. “None of your business!”
he exploded.
I
leaned backwards from him, at the same time trying to get to my feet
as quickly as possible, but before I was all the way up, Sadie spoke.
“Jay!”
she scolded, apparently more concerned about his manners than my
physical safety. “What has gotten into you lately?” She was
annoyed, but clearly not afraid, and I took that to mean that she
didn’t think Jay was likely to become violent. I let myself fall
back onto the ground, but positioned my legs in a way I hoped would
help me get up more quickly, if Jay became so outraged again.
Jay
gave a sulky, grumbled response to Sadie’s question, turning his
head away. Sadie rolled her eyes. “Honestly, it’s like you’re a
different person or something. If this is a stage, I hope it ends
fast. I’m getting tired of it.”
Jay
didn’t give any reaction whatsoever, but Sadie didn’t push. She
gave me an apologetic grin. “Sorry about that, Addia. He’s been
like that with everyone lately.”
I
considered Jay for a moment, careful to turn my gaze away before he
caught me staring. The boy was clearly very upset about something,
but I couldn’t think of what. Perhaps he hated this school as much
as I did. Or maybe the near-inedibleness of his lunch had left him
hungry. Those guesses didn’t seem right to me, but I wasn’t about
to ask him about it.
The
bell rang, and everyone in my group stood up, everyone looking as if
they regretted that our lunch period was over, but I’m reasonably
certain they didn’t feel the same stab of despair I experienced as
we started trailing back inside. I had about three hours left of
classes, and my headache had only barely begun to subside. I was
positive that my last two classes would be as confusing and stressful
as my other ones, and I badly, badly wanted to go home.
As
it turns out, Lily and I had the same class, so I chose to simply
follow her, rather than work out for myself where the classroom was,
but instead of going straight for the classroom, she stopped, took an
entirely different hallway than any I had been down before, and
stopped in front of a wall of boxes that reminded me of the locker
room. I watched, curiously, as she spun an object on the front of the
box, very deliberately, a few times, causing it to pop open. She
pulled a couple of books and a stack of paper out of the box, slid
them into her bag, then finally noticed me watching her. She gave me
a perplexed look. “Um, don’t you need to go get your books?”
I
blinked a couple of times. I didn’t really understand what was
going on. Was I also supposed to have one of these storage boxes? And
why did everyone assume I had my own copies of the books the school
used? Wouldn’t it be easier to simply keep a supply of textbooks in
each classroom, and then have the students return them when the class
was over? And why not simply carry our books in you bag, rather than
run back to these boxes to get things?
I
noticed that she was looking at me even more strangely than before,
probably because I hadn’t replied, so I lied, quickly, “I didn’t
bring my books to school today.”
That
explanation seemed to make sense to her. “Oh. Did you forget to
bring them?”
“Yes,”
I lied, glad that she had given me an excuse I could use. “I was in
a hurry this morning.”
She
nodded sympathetically. “That’s usually why I forget my homework.
I never seem to have enough time in the morning.” That statement
seemed slightly odd to me – if she found that morning didn’t have
as much time as she wanted, wouldn’t the problem be fixed if she
simply got out of bed a little earlier?
I
walked with Sage to my next class, which was chemistry. I was
surprised by the gracelessness of the way the room was set up, and by
the exact chemical compounds the teacher was having us create – I
couldn’t see a practical use for any of them. The teacher then
reminded the students that they had an exam coming up, and everyone
groaned, but she didn’t seem to care, which, once again, struck me
as being odd.
I
left, feeling relieved that one of my classes had gone smoothly –
all I had had to do was mimic what my lab partner was doing – but I
was uneasy about my next one. I was beyond exhausted by now, and I
didn’t have the foggiest idea what my next class would be like.
Looking
at my schedule, I saw that I had English, which I thought was strange
– all the students in this school already spoke English, as far as
I knew – but I was happy that it was something easy – I was sure
my translator would give me the answers.
I
was shown my seat, and I sat down and pulled out my pencil, but
instead of reading from a book or filling out a paper, the teacher
said she’d show us what she called a film. The entire classroom
groaned when the teacher stated her intention, which annoyed her.
“You all tell me you hate my lectures, my papers, and my
reading assignments. Is there anything you children don’t
hate?”
“We
don’t hate lunch,” called someone near the back, which caused the
other students to laugh, which I didn’t understand. His joke hadn’t
been that funny, and it seemed designed to annoy the teacher,
besides.
She
put her hands on her hips, pursed her lips and glared at him for a
long moment. “Anthony! I thought I told you to stop making
disruptive jokes during class!”
“I’m
not making jokes during class. You haven’t started it yet,”
Anthony mocked, which made the students laugh again. I frowned,
trying to understand what was going on. Did these children honestly
think that intentionally annoying the woman was funny? This entire
situation struck me as being mean-spirited, and I wished the young
man would stop. The teacher had clearly been stressed out long before
this, and I was sure that he was causing her significant problems.
She
scowled at him, then, as if she was too angry to talk, she picked up
a stack of pinkish paper off her desk and started writing on it at a
furious pace. I wondered if she was so mad that she now had to write
notes to communicate, and I watched with interest to see what
happened next.
“I
wouldn’t do that,” Anthony said, smugly. “If I miss football
practice because you gave me detention, Dad’ll have you fired.”
The
teacher stopped, then slammed her stack of paper down violently. Her
face was bright red, and she was shaking. She impatiently picked up
a small box and pointed it at a larger box on the ceiling, dropped
the small box on her desk again, turned the light in the room off,
then sat down angrily at her desk and openly sulked.
For
a moment, the room was dark, and I wondered if this was some equally
ineffective form of punishment, but then the box on the ceiling
turned on, shining light on a white sheet in front of the wall. A
picture appeared within the square of light, and sounds started to
play from somewhere inside the room, and I realized I was about to
watch one of the humans’ animations. Pon had shown me a few before
I arrived on Earth, but I hadn’t been impressed with them – the
images looked too flat, the way the characters moved was often
unrealistic, and the sounds were sub-standard. I was a little annoyed
to have to watch a poorly-constructed animation, but I was much
happier that I wouldn’t be running laps, reading a text book that
was impossible to focus on, or dealing with Jay. Maybe this class
would be restful.
As
the animation continued, I noticed that the person on the screen sort
of jerked between positions a little, as if whoever had created this
film had chosen not to show every instant of the man’s movement,
which was irritating to me, but what was far worse was the fact that
every few seconds or so, the entire film would display nothing but a
dark gray color, then snap back to what it was supposed to be
showing. After less than a minute of watching this, I found that I
was becoming dizzy, and the headache quickly reminded me that it had
never truly left. I closed my eyes, hoping that would solve the
problem, but it didn’t.
When
the film had started, I had noticed that the sound quality was poor,
but I hadn’t been too annoyed by it, partly because I was busy
watching the animation do strange things, and partly because the
sound quality hadn’t seemed any worse than it was on the animations
I had seen before. But, all at once, the man on the film started to
talk, and every word grated on me. Somehow, the quality of the sound
seemed to be twice as bad when I was listening to words than when it
was only notes, and I found that, with my eyes closed, the man’s
distorted voice was the only thing I had to pay attention to. My head
throbbed its protest, and I wished I knew how to deal with any of
this. I wanted to put my head down and put my arms over my head, but
I was sure that would annoy the already-ruffled teacher, and I wasn’t
about to risk detention – I didn’t want to spend one more instant
longer here than I had to, let alone an hour.
After
the film had been playing for a few minutes, I started to notice that
what the man was saying didn’t sound much like English to me, and,
now that I was paying attention, I could see that my translator was
only picking up on about half of what he was saying, even when I
worked out how to listen in spite of the quality. I thought that was
very odd. Why were we being shown this film that was only half
English in this class? Had she mistakenly shown us a film intended
for the Spanish classroom?
By
the time the bell rang and the lights were turned back on, my head
felt fuzzy, the same way it did when I woke up from a dream, and I
sort of stumbled out the classroom door, mechanically taking my
schedule out of my pocket and reading it.
As
much as my head was buzzing, it was very hard for me to understand
what I was reading, and I had to read the paper about three times
before I could comprehend it. I was supposed to go to Spanish, which
was in classroom C-7, but I hadn’t noticed a “C” hallway
before, and I hesitated in the intersection between hallways, trying
to spot the place I needed to go.
Rather
than finding the hallway I needed, I saw a small group of students
gather themselves together, getting ready to mock some unfortunate
child, and I found myself hanging back, wanting to let the group of
students past me before I tried to walk down the hallway.
I
watched, anxiously, as they gathered around a girl, and I wondered if
I shouldn’t do something to help her. After seeing the way Anthony
baited his teacher, I was a little concerned about what teasing
students were capable of doing, but I had no clear idea how I would
save another student in this situation. I found myself creeping
closer to the group to hear what they said, even though I was certain
I wouldn’t actually be doing anything about it.
I
could now see that it was Lily they had gathered around, and she
immediately began to shrink even further into herself, as if she
thought she could retreat so far into her thoughts that they wouldn’t
be able to hurt her. I felt a desperate need to protect her from
whatever was about to happen, but I found that I was frozen in place.
Much
to my astonished horror, the group around Lily, which was comprised
mostly of girls, started to make incredibly rude and personal remarks
about her body, and they spoke in such a crass, explicit way that I
found myself flinching with each word they said, and I felt almost as
if I was the one under attack. I tried very hard to move myself from
where I stood, to come up to her, to go and get a teacher, or perhaps
to run from the school and never come back, but I simply couldn’t
move. I wondered, in a panic, just what had happened to me, and I
started to grow very, very dizzy.
Suddenly,
someone roughly shouldered their way into the group, and I was
relived to see it was Sadie. She was holding herself as if she was
completely in control of the situation, and I was sure she would know
what to do about this – she was definitely the most capable student
I had met.
Sadie
put her arm around Lily’s shoulders, and Lily relaxed slightly, as
if she already felt safer. “There you are! I’ve been looking
everywhere. I need your help with something.” As she spoke,
pointedly ignoring the cruel students, Sadie guided Lily down the
hallway, and chattering about something that I’m sure she only
brought up for the sake of having something else to talk about than
the way the group had been treating Lily.
I
had really thought that Lily was safe for the time being, but then
one of the group called, “You really think you’re all that, but
you’re nothing but a clothed money!”
I
didn’t altogether understand the insult, but I noticed Sadie
flinch, and for only an instant she froze, than she started walking
again, even more quickly than before, and determinedly talking about
cheerful and meaningless things. I felt absolutely sick to my
stomach. These other students were intentionally making other people
miserable, and seemed to be enjoying themselves while they did it.
And, besides that, they had hurt Sadie, who was the first person here
to be kind to me, and Lily, who I was sure wouldn’t hurt anyone.
The
bell rang again and, all at once, the students who had been mocking
broke their circle and started to hurry towards their separate
classes, and I started to rush away as well, but I wasn’t looking
for my classroom any more. I was looking for a safe place to throw
up.
I
found the girls’ room quickly, because I had remembered seeing it
earlier, but the state of the room was so filthy that I almost turned
around to find a cleaner restroom, but, of course, I couldn’t wait
any longer. I found myself leaning over the trash can near the door,
and I was astonished by just how much the vomiting hurt. I had never
thrown up before, with the exception of the night my mother died, and
I was unprepared for the way my stomach cramped, the texture of what
was coming out of my mouth, and the burning at the back of my throat.
It
seemed to me like several minutes before I was done with the painful
retching, and when I pulled back from the trash can, I found I could
barely see, because my eyes were tearing up, my head was pounding so
hard that the entire room seemed to throb around me, my knees felt
shaky, and my stomach muscles felt like they had been overworked. I
wanted to lean on the wall to support myself, but, remembering the
state of the rest of the bathroom, I chose not to. I staggered out
into the hallway, which, thankfully, was empty, and leaned on the
nearest wall. I still couldn’t see well, and I hoped that this one
truly was cleaner than the ones in the restroom.
I
pulled some water out of my bag and started to drink it, trying to
get rid of the burning at the back of my throat, but the water only
seemed to help somewhat. I rubbed my hands over my face, wondering
what I should do. I wanted to leave and go to sleep for a long time,
but I didn’t have any idea if Kenk or Pon even knew how to get me
out of this school, and if they didn’t they’d be worrying about
me. Besides that, I didn’t know what the consequences of leaving
the school were. The people who ran this school might take pity on me
if I told them I wasn’t feeling well, but they might also insist
that I go to see the nurse, which, of course, was not an option.
With
a heavy sigh, I realized that my best option would be to go to my
last class, leave school at the same time as the other children, and
hope that, somehow, no one would notice that I was in pain. Of
course, not very many of these humans struck me as being particularly
observant, so maybe my hope I wouldn’t be noticed wasn’t so
far-fetched.
Looking
at my schedule one more time, I began to look for the hallway I
needed. Now that there was no one else around to keep me distracted,
I realized that Hallway C must be up the steps, and I climbed them,
then found C-7 without any more trouble, but when I walked in I had
clearly disrupted something, and the teacher gave me an annoyed look.
“Why are you so late? We started ten minutes ago.” She was
clearly angry with me, but her posture and tone were reasonably
controlled.
“I’m
new, and I got lost,” I replied, hoping that would be enough of an
explanation. I wasn’t about to tell her that I had been throwing
up, and I wouldn’t be telling her about what happened to Lily and
Sadie, not when there were other students around – for all I knew,
one of the tormentors was in this class.
The
teacher rolled her eyes. “I don’t see how you could have gotten
so lost that it took you fifteen minutes to find us. I’ll let you
off today but don’t let this happen again.”
I
nodded. “Yes, all right.” I ducked my head a little as I walked
into the classroom, as if I thought that would make myself invisible,
and then sat down in an unoccupied desk. I was handed a paper, and I
was glad for the excuse to keep my eyes on the desk – I was worried
that if I made eye contact with anyone, they would somehow figure out
what was bothering me.
I
quickly started to read the paper, and what I saw was a lot of
sentences in another language, but no instructions on how to
translate them. I realized, with a sinking feeling, that there was no
way I was going to be able to answer even one question correctly in
this class – if the only reason I could speak English was because I
wore a translator, then I really had no foundation for learning
Spanish. I didn’t understand even one thing about the structures of
Earth’s languages, and this class was designed for people who had a
good understanding of English before they began.
I
gripped my pencil tightly, feeling anxiety rising, and I wondered,
frantically, what would happen if I couldn’t do the work at all.
Would the teacher assume I was disobeying her and punish me for it?
Would she keep me here until I filled this page? Would she tell me to
leave her classroom and not come back? My head pounded hard enough
that it made it hard for me to work out if any of these possibilities
were reasonable or not.
I
glanced over at the student on my right, who seemed to know what he
was doing, and I thought of copying his work, and I nearly started to
do just that, but a thought crossed my mind that made me pause. If I
risked detention for something as minor as not coming to school on
time, what would they do to me if they caught me cheating?
Unexpectedly,
I felt a hot wave of anger. These humans were trying to force me to
learn information that I didn’t understand and would never use
again, and they were using completely unfair methods of intimidation
to do it. I didn’t belong in this classroom, in an assigned desk,
doing the same useless work as everyone else, among students who
would likely hurt me if they got the chance. What I really needed to
be learning was how these people thought, and to do that I would have
to talk to them, but in this deranged, backwards school, conversation
and earnest discussion wasn’t even allowed. Lives literally
depended on my ability to learn what I needed, and quickly, and I was
caught in a place where the people in charge were doing everything in
their power to keep me from saving my world.
I
knew that showing emotion was the worst thing I could do, and I
fought to hold my face passive and my breathing even, but it wasn’t
long before I was watching my tears fall onto my page, hand over my
mouth as I tried to muffle my sobs. Just what did I think I was doing
here, anyway?Did I honestly think that I was strong enough to not
only interact with humans, but endure the brunt of their faults as
well? I had just watched a group of children abuse each
other, without restraint and without regret. Back home, such
intentional cruelty would have earned them a lifetime in prison, but
here absolutely nothing was being done to protect the other children.
There hadn’t been any authoritative figures around to stop the
abuse from happening, and I nearly threw up again when I thought
about how little these people must care about their students to let
this happen. Where the teachers simply unaware of what was going on?
How could they miss something so common and so blatant?
I
heard the teacher of this class walk up to me, and I tried very hard
to stop crying – I was sure it would be seen as a disruption –
but my efforts seemed to only make the tears come more quickly, and
my sobs more violent.
The
teacher stood there a moment, and I wished I could see her
expression, but I didn’t dare look up. By now I was feeling
downright ashamed of my lack of control, and I felt the eyes of many
students on me. I was sure that if I allowed myself to glance around,
I wouldn’t like the expressions I saw around me. I was sure that
they would look gleeful or mocking, the way the cruel students in the
hallways had, and I knew I couldn’t endure it if I saw someone else
taking pleasure at my pain.
The
teacher lightly tapped my shoulder. “Um, are you all right?” I
thought that was a foolish question – I wouldn’t be crying if I
was all right.
I
couldn’t reply to her question, and I didn’t know what I should
say even if I could speak, so in response I tried once again to quiet
myself.
She
leaned close to me and said, very quietly, “It’s not because I
yelled, is it?” This question was almost as absurd as the last one
– why would I react so violently to someone saying a few sharp
words?
“No,”
I mumbled, between sobs, and wished she’d leave me alone for the
rest of the class, so that I could wallow in my failure
uninterrupted, or, better yet, send me home, so that I didn’t have
to spend one more moment in this place.
She
hesitated again. I could hear her go back to her desk, and I thought
she had decided to leave me as I was, but then she came back. She
tapped me again. “Take this hall pass and go to the school
counselor. He’ll help you work through. . . whatever this is.”
For
a moment, my surprise distracted me from how awful I felt, and I
found myself taking a full breath as I tried to understand what had
just happened. Until just now, I didn’t have any idea that they
even had counseling on this planet, but I doubted it was effective –
if the humans had good counseling services, than why would this world
be such a mess? And why would a school with so many students who were
actively being abused have only one counselor? I really didn’t want
to go and see this counselor – if he was competent, then he would
figure out that I didn’t belong here, and if he was incompetent, he
was very likely to make me feel even worse, but I didn’t think I
was being given a choice about this. I got up from my desk,
reluctantly, and started to walk from the classroom, head down, and
eyes still streaming, but at least now I wasn’t sobbing so hard.
When
I was nearly out of the room, the teacher, apparently remembering
that I had gotten myself lost on the way here, stopped me and gave me
directions on how to find the counselor's office. I knew she was
trying to be helpful, but I had been planning on tucking myself away
somewhere and later claiming that I couldn’t find his office, so I
was more than a little annoyed with her for taking away my excuse not
to see him.
I
followed her directions, walking very, very slowly, and hoping that
school would already have ended by the time I reached the office, but
I had no suck luck – there was a full thirty minutes left by the
time I found the room. I stopped, trying to give myself time to work
out an excuse for why I was sent here. If I pretended as if I didn’t
have any idea why she sent me, he would know I was lying – I wasn’t
crying now, but my cracked voice would give me away. I supposed I
could tell him that I was feeling homesick, which was true enough,
but then he might ask me where I was from, and I didn’t know enough
about Earth’s geography to answer that question. It looked as if
the best I could do would be to refuse to say anything which, of
course, might not end well.
I
thought of simply staying where I was until school let out, but just
then I noticed some teacher walking towards me from further down the
hall and looking annoyed, and I figured that loitering in the hallway
must be against the rules here, so I opened the office door and
walked in to avoid getting myself into trouble. I could finally see
why getting detention would be a deterrent – this place was so
miserable that spending an extra hour here sounded awful.
When
I came in, the counselor looked up from a paper he was writing on.
“Good afternoon. What can I do for you?” His words were friendly,
but he sounded weary, as if he was already tired of me. That annoyed
me, but I tried not to show it – if he had to help every distressed
student in this school all by himself, he must have a good reason to
be tired.
“I-I
don’t know,” I replied. “I just really don’t like this
school.” Perhaps that was more than I should have said, but it was
too late to take it back now.
He
paused, and, judging by the expression on his face, sighed inwardly.
“What do you not like about it? Maybe we can find a way to make
things easier for you.” That was highly unlikely, but I wasn’t
about to explain to him why that was.
I
paused, trying to come up with a reason for disliking the school that
didn’t reveal too much about me. “I miss my old one.” I was
sure that was a response that any student could have given him, and I
was relieved that I had come up with it.
“Oh.
You must miss your friends from your last one,” he said, looking
relieved, as if he had been stressing about figuring me out. “I
know that a transition like this can be difficult, but after you make
new friends, you’ll like it here just fine. It might also help if
you spend some time Skyping your old friends a few times a week.
You’ll adjust in no time.” He sounded as if he was reciting
something that he had said many times before, and I found that I
started to get angry. Back home, I had spoken with counselors before,
especially right after my parents had died, but I had never met a
mental health professional who would treat me so unfeelingly.
He
looked up at me expectantly. “Is there anything else you wanted to
talk about while you were here?” I felt a hot rush of indignation.
Not only was he reciting impersonal advice to me, but he had also
assumed the problem was solved, without even asking me how I felt
about it.
“You
really think that making friends will solve this problem for me?” I
found myself saying, struggling to keep my voice even.
He
seemed to miss both my frustration and my sarcasm. “I know that
kids find it very hard to leave their friends behind, but, trust me,
it’s not as bad as you think.” His words would have struck me as
being condescending, if they had any emotion behind them whatsoever.
I
fought to keep my temper under control, but, once again, he didn’t
seem to notice. “Does that answer your question?” he pressed.
Finally,
I found that I couldn’t take it any more. “I don’t think you
want to help me at all!” I exploded. “You just want to get me out
of the way! I’ve just had one of the worst days of my life, and all
you’ve done is give me shallow, unfeeling advice! Just what kind of
counselor are you?” I wondered, even as I shouted, if I was being
too harsh, but I couldn’t seem to keep the words from coming out.
He
gave me a blank look. “I know that being a teenager is hard, but
you won’t solve any problems by yelling and blaming me for your
problems.”
I
had my mouth open to tell him, very loudly, that I wasn’t
blaming him for my problems, and all I wanted from him was for him to
listen to me, which was supposed to be his job in the first place,
but I stopped myself. He would refuse to hear anything I had to say,
and would keep on giving me advice that was out of context, no matter
what I did. I could still feel an angry pressure building in my
chest, but I was already ashamed with myself for yelling at him once,
even if it wasn’t altogether uncalled for.
Painfully
swallowing some of my anger, I said, forcing myself to speak at a
more respectful volume, “You’re right, it wasn’t fair of me to
yell at you because I miss my friends, and I’m sure that I’ll be
fine if I do as you so kindly instructed. Would it be all right if I
went back to class now? I’ve missed too much time already.” If he
had been paying attention, he would have noticed how stiffly I was
speaking, but, as I predicted, he didn’t.
He
leaned back in his seat, wearing a self-satisfied expression, as if
proud of himself for handling my outburst so well. “Yes, you’re
allowed to go, but you probably won’t get much work done – you’ll
only have about ten minutes left of class by the time you get back to
your classroom.”
I
thanked him, even more stiffly, turned, and walked out of the office,
silently fuming. Just what made him think he was qualified to handle
the students of this school, anyway? Back home, if I had cried during
school, which was highly unlikely, any teacher I would have gone to
would have been far more helpful than this so-called counselor, who
was supposedly trained to deal with emotional problems. Ha! I would
have been better off if I had come to Sadie, or Jay for, that matter.
At least Jay wouldn’t pretend to give me sound advice, and would
tell me outright that he didn’t care about me or my problems.
Rather
than go back to the classroom, I went into the girls’ room,
intending to stay there until school let out, and I was quickly
reminded just how filthy everything was. My vision had been blurred
the first time I had been here, and there had been quite a few
details I had missed. Little bits of toilet paper (I knew what it was
because Pon was very careful to look up the ins and outs of using an
Earth bathroom before I arrived) were scattered all across the floor,
used or unused, I couldn’t tell, and there were also longer strips
spread hap-hazardly, which would make it hard to walk across the
floor. The trash can was full, which made me wonder how I had managed
to throw up into it earlier, and there were little piles of garbage
all around it. The sinks looked as if they hadn’t been cleaned in
the long time, and the mirrors were smudged so badly they would be
almost unusable, and for some reason, the mirrors had an assortment
of similarly shaped pink and red marks on them, and I couldn’t
figure out how the marks would have gotten there. In the place of a
paper towel dispenser, there was something holding onto a cloth
towel, and, looking closer, I could see that that cloth towel was
sewn on, so that a student couldn’t remove it to change it out for
a clean one.
Stomach
turning, I turned to leave, and I found myself running from the room
with a hand over my mouth. I was a little curious about what the
toilets themselves looked like, if the area around the sinks was that
gross, but I knew better than to actually look inside the stalls. I
wondered, unhappily, what I would do if I ever needed to actually use
one of these restrooms during school, and I prayed that I would
never, ever need to find out.
My
plan of hiding in the bathroom abandoned, I went back to my
classroom, just in time to hear my teacher’s instructions for our
next homework assignment, whatever that was. I had been given various
homework assignments throughout my day, but I hadn’t really thought
about them much – I was more concerned with navigating the hallways
and trying to understand why the school was structured so strangely.
At
last, the bell rang, and students flooded the hallways, apparently
almost as anxious to leave as I was. I felt dizzy with relief as I
walked down a crowded hallway. At last, I could say good-bye to this
place.
“Hey,
Faucet!” Someone grabbed my by the shoulder and spun me to face
her, and I nearly screamed when I found myself face-to-face with the
girl who had led the attack on Lily earlier. If I remembered
correctly from homeroom, her name was Dionne. I looked around wildly,
and I could see that I was surrounded by children with mocking
expressions on all sides. I was completely trapped, and I was about
to get teased in ways that no person should have to endure.
“Just
what were you crying about earlier?” Dionne sneered. “Did you
finally realize why you don’t have a boyfriend? Heck, if I had a
body like yours, I’d be crying on my desk too.”Mirthless laughter
followed this remark, and I was sure that I’d throw up, scream or
start crying again at any moment. It sounded like Dionne was gearing
up to start giving out inappropriate insults, and I had no idea how
to stop her.
She
reached forward and yanked on one of my braids, which made my eyes
water. “You really thought you could hide it under that babyish
hair and that shapeless clothing, but I can see right through you,
Faucet. The fact is, you’re – “
“Girls!”
someone chided, loudly. Dionne turned to see an adult striding
towards us, her arms heavy with books, but her expression saying that
she was more than capable of making the other girls miserable, if
that’s what it took to get them under control. All at once,
Dionne’s friends scattered, and she stood there, quietly fuming,
while the woman walked up to me. “Addia, are you all right? Just
what were those girls doing to you?” I thought it was
curious that this woman already knew my name, but that didn’t seem
too important just now.
I
had my mouth open to tell her that the girls had been saying some
very rude things, but Dionne glared at me so ferociously that it made
me hesitate. She was telling me with that look that if I told this
woman about what was going on, Dionne would do everything in her
power to make me absolutely miserable, but if I didn’t tell this
woman what was going on, what would stop the girl from doing it
again? I glared back at Dionne and squared my shoulders. She might be
used to victims who didn’t do anything about her insults, but I
wasn’t about to let her treat me that way. “She was insulting me
mercilessly, and I’ve caught her doing it to other students as
well,” I replied, intentionally avoiding giving Lily or Sadie’s
names. If Dionne was going to try to exact revenge on me after this,
I wasn’t about to give her a reason to take it out on my friends.
The
woman turned and looked at Dionne, eyes flashing. “Is this true?”
I
would have expected Dionne to be angry, but instead she started to
laugh, putting an arm around my shoulders. “I don’t know how you
keep a straight face when you say that, Addia.” Dionne gave the
woman a charming smile. “It’s a private joke. You would have had
to be there to understand.” I blinked rabidly a few times, trying
to understand what was going on. Was Dionne honestly trying to lie
herself out of trouble? She should have known that wouldn’t work –
the woman had seen the circle of students around me, and I seriously
doubted that this woman would be as gullible as Dionne was hoping.
“I
see.” The woman looked confused, but, much to my dismay, she didn’t
call Dionne out on her lie, and I realized, stomach sinking, that the
woman must have believed Dionne’s story over mine.
Dionne
gave my shoulder a squeeze, to make it look at if she was giving me a
hug, but she dug her nails into my arm at the same time, in case it
wasn’t clear to me how she felt about me. She pulled away and
started to walk down the hallway. “See you later, A!” she called
behind her, going out of her way to sound friendly.
I
stood there, feeling absolutely astonished and confused, as the woman
started to talk to me as if nothing had happened. “Addia, I’m
glad I found you. You were supposed to pick up your text books at the
office this morning before you went to your classes.” She dropped
that stack into my arms, and I nearly fell forward.
“Thank
you,” I replied automatically, thoughts still buzzing. Should I try
again to explain what had happened with Dionne, or would that make
things worse? If the woman didn’t believe me, I would get in
trouble, and if she did believe me, and she tried to punish Dionne,
Dionne would just lie again, and probably do it in a way that made me
look bad. Of course, I wouldn’t be coming back to this school
anyway, so maybe I shouldn’t be too worried about it.
“Did
you find everything all right today? I can’t imagine how hard it
must be to transfer in to another school in the middle of the school
year.” I barely heard what she said – I was still trying to
figure out just how Dionne got away with what she was doing. Surely,
not everyone bought her lies, and sooner or later, she would have to
get caught.
“Yes,
I managed to find everything just fine,” I said, still trying to
figure out why Dionne hadn’t yet been stopped.
“I’m
glad to hear that.” She was about to say something else, but then
an annoying sound came from her phone, and she pulled it out of her
pocket to answer it. I took that to mean that she was no longer
interested in out conversation, and I began to walk down the hallway
to leave the school, struggling to fit all the books into my bag.
When I got outside, I felt relieved, at first, but when I saw a line
of ugly yellow school buses, I was quickly reminded of the awful
ordeal I had gone through to get here. My head pounded even more
sharply, as if it was worried I’d forget how miserable I was, and
my stomach started to clench. I was sure that if I got back on that
bus, my return trip would feel at least three times worse than the
first one did. I felt anxiety rising, and it was so overwhelming that
I found I couldn’t breathe. Stop that!
I told myself, sharply. Maybe there was a solution to this problem,
and I would need to be calm to see it. My fear stubbornly refused to
leave, and I started to feel downright dizzy. I stared at the bus, as
if wishing I didn’t have to climb on it would make it into a
gentler ride.
“Hey,
Addia!” I turned to see Brody, who was skipping up to me. “Which
bus do you take? Maybe we have the same bus! I hope we have the same
one, ‘cause riding it is more fun when there are more friends on
it. Hey, why are you frowning?” He looked dismayed, as if he was
worried that he was the reason I was looking unhappy.
I
blinked a few times, then tried to make my expression relax. I found
Brody’s chatter irritating just now, but I didn’t see any reason
to tell him that. “I’m frowning because I don’t like riding the
bus.” I wondered if he would find that statement strange, but I
couldn’t think of something better to say.
Brody
frowned thoughtfully. “Oh. Well, I guess you could call your
parents to pick you up, or maybe you could walk. I’m not supposed
to walk home by myself, but I guess that most kids are allowed to. Of
course, you might have to walk for a really long time.”
I
blinked a few times. “The school allows the students to walk home?”
I was a little surprised that I hadn’t thought of this before. I
supposed that maybe I had assumed that the way I had arrived at
school was the only way to
get here.
“Yep,
yep yep!” Brody babbled. “Lily walks, Sadie walks, and some kids
even have their own cars to drive. I can’t drive yet, but my mom
says we’ll talk about it when I’m a little older. I wonder how
much older is a little older. I’m eighteen, and I think that’s a
little older enough.” As he spoke, I looked around the parking lot
and noticed that a fair number of students weren’t getting on the
buses at all, and I felt relieved that I had a way to avoid the bus,
and a little embarrassed that I hadn’t noticed that there were
students going home on foot until Brody had pointed it out to me. Of
course, thinking clearly was very hard when your head hurt.
“Bye,
Brody,” I said, starting to walk for home.
“Oh,”
he said, disappointedly. “We’re not riding on the same bus.
Good-bye.”
For
a little while, I started to feel better as I walked. Being seating
while I stewed in my distress hadn’t done anything to help me drain
the stress off, and I was glad to be moving, but then my legs started
to ache. I thought that was curious, because I really hadn’t gone
that far yet, until I remembered P.E. I thought it was strange that I
hadn’t noticed any soreness until now, but then, I had been pretty
distracted.
I
kept walking, and my muscles complained, very sharply, and my head
decided that it wasn’t any happier with me after all, and, as if it
didn’t want to be forgotten, my stomach kept on churning for a few
minutes, settling, and then churning again. All this made it very
hard to focus on getting myself back to the house, and I found I had
to pull out my phone and ask it for directions, just to keep myself
from wandering off course by mistake. Needless
to say, I was in a lot of pain. I don’t even know how I managed to
keep going.
As
it turns out, the walk was significantly longer than I had guessed,
and by the time I arrived at our home base, absolutely every muscle
on me either burned or felt stressed to its limit, my back throbbed
from the heavy load of books in my bag, my head was pounding so hard
it was a wonder I could see at all, my mouth felt completely dry, I
couldn’t seem to get enough air, my stomach felt as if it was
trying to turn itself inside-out, and I felt a burning in my chest
that reminded me of how the back of my throat felt right after I had
thrown up. I could barely lift my feet enough to get up the front
steps of the house, and, once inside, I practically fell down, on my
side, into the nearest seat, which was a long, soft, chair, and it
felt wonderful. After a moment, I realized that I hadn’t even taken
my bag or my shoes off myself, but I didn’t really care. All I
wanted was to stay still with my eyes closed for a very, very long
time.
“Deeah?”
said a concerned voice somewhere nearby. “Are you all right?”
Without
opening my eyes, I tried to reply, but all that came out of my mouth
was a low groan. Everything somehow hurt even worse when I opened my
mouth, as if even that little motion of my jaw was too much to
handle.
“MedicBot!”
the voice called, sounding somewhat alarmed.
“I
have arrived,” the bot replied a moment later, and I was struck,
once again, by how annoying that voice was, and I wished it would
stop talking and let me go to sleep. “What do you need of me?”
The
person who had been talking to me, who I finally identified as being
Kenk, gave a disbelieving sound. “Deeah
is unwell! Help her!” He sounded exasperated.
After
a moment, I felt something come between my lips, then something wet
coated the inside of my mouth. I was surprised enough that I nearly
choked, but managed to swallow most of the wet stuff, rather than
inhaling it. Immediately, my stomach settled, and, a moment later,
the pounding in my head softened. I looked up at Kenk, who was
watching me anxiously. “Thank you,” I said, tiredly. I had been
in so much pain that I hadn’t even thought to call the MedicBot for
help.
Kenk
relaxed, but only slightly. “What happened to you?” He gently
pushed me a little more upright, then pulled my bag off my back
before allowing me to lay down again.
“There
was too much P.E.,” I explained. “And the bathroom was gross, and
Jay wouldn’t quit yelling, and the school uses too many books, and.
. .” my memories of the day were do mixed up that I had a hard time
focusing on much of anything, and it wasn’t surprising that I had
forgotten what I wanted to say. As I spoke, the MedicBot stared at
me, probably scanning me for additional problems, then came around to
my feet, picked one up, and sprayed something on the bottom of my
shoe to disinfect it.
Kenk
looked confused. “We’ll talk after you’ve slept a while.”
That sounded good. I had never felt more tired. The
MedicBot lifted my other shoe, and I wished it would leave me alone
now.
I
think Kenk said something else, but I didn’t really hear, because I
was already drifting off to sleep.
I hope you all enjoy this, because this is long enough to be a pain in the neck otherwise. :)
ReplyDeleteCaryn, this is such a cute story and your dialog is good. The only thing you might consider something that has plagued me constantly. That is wordiness.
ReplyDeleteBelow are a couple examples:
As I got near the corner, I could see other students waiting at the same place, and I was surprised and more than a little concerned to see that they all looked some variation of tired, stressed, or annoyed. I paused near the edge of the group and took a better look at each of them. It was very clear that they weren’t looking forward to going to the school any more than I was,
or:
As I neared the corner, I saw other students all looking tired, stressed and annoyed, as if they weren’t looking forward to school any more than I was.
We stood there, waiting, for a few more minutes, and this time I was much more careful not to openly study any of the children, although I kept watching and making observations
or:
We stood waiting a few more minutes, but this time I carefully avoided any open observation of the children.
Of course, this is a draft and wordiness is something you go back and correct when you polish. And, the way you’ve phrased might be the way you want your character portrayed, since she is from another planet and may speak more formally. Totally your call. Either way the story shows great imagination. I love it. Nayda (Like Potato😊)