Short Story: Vigilante

A story taken from one of our writing prompts. I thought you'd enjoy it, and it's so much shorter than the last thing I posted. 

He was impervious to her abuse. I don’t think he even noticed it. He was so in love with her (or her bank account, I haven’t decided which) that he was totally deaf to every scathing word. Unfortunately, I wasn’t. I was only ten years old, but she apparently didn’t see that as a reason to let up on me.

Oh, how I hated her! She would criticize everything I did. My room was too messy, my stuttering annoyed her, I was too old to be playing with dolls. She had a way of making every insult sound enormous.

The last straw came when I caught her going through my underwear drawer. I screamed at her until I was out of breath, and when Dad grounded me for being unkind I cried for two hours straight, but, of course, he took her side over mine. The injustice rankled, and I determined that I would do something about her.

The next afternoon, I spent a good three hours catching wasps and putting them in a jar.  

That night, when we were having dinner at her house, I took my jar along in a tote bag, and it sat at my feet as I ate. I was starting to have second thoughts about what I was planning, but then Dad’s girlfriend told my dad the tie he was wearing was awful, and he should get rid of it, and he promised her she wouldn’t see it again.

That made me mad. I had given that tie to him last Father’s Day. I couldn’t stand to think about my present sitting in the trash, so I excused myself to go to the bathroom, grabbed my bag, and headed straight for her bedroom.

Once I was there, I opened her underwear drawer, shook my jar until the wasps were too dizzy to fly, then tipped them in, closing the drawer quickly.

I went back down to dinner, sure that the girlfriend would demand to know what I had been up to, but she was evidently too intent in staring into my dad’s face to notice anything else. I spent the rest of the evening terrified she’d somehow find my prank before we left, and I was very relived when we went home.   

I figure the trick with the wasps must have worked, because I never saw her again.

It’s been nine years since then, and my dad is now happily married to a much kinder woman, but I still haven’t dared to tell him what I had done that day, and I hope he never finds out.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6 (Rough)

The Dungeon

Farmerella (Based on Cinderella)